pamgarrett.com
      Family Stories

1953: Miss Margaret Maxey Cooper, Norman E Reynolds Jr Wed


Solemnized at 8pm Saturday in the chapel of Westminster Presbyterian church was the wedding of Miss Margaret Maxey Cooper, daughter of Mrs F Maxey Cooper, 1501 Glenwood, and the late Dr Cooper, to Norman E Reynolds jr. The bridegroom is the son of Mrs Norman E Reynolds, 608 NW 42, and the late Mr Reynolds.

Dr G Raymond Campbell, pastor, officiated at the ceremony which was attended only by members of the immediate families and relatives. A small reception for close friends was held in the Cooper home following the ceremony.

William W Lemonds, organist, played "Behold, A Rose Is Blooming" (Brahms), "Let Us Now Give Thanks" (Bach) and "Trumpet Voluntary" (Purcell). John D Smith sang "O Lord Most Holy" (Franck) and "The Wedding Prayer" (Dunlap). The traditional marches were played.

Arrangements of white chrysanthemums, tapers and emerald palm foliage decorated the chapel. White tapers and white satin bows were placed on alternating pew caps of the center aisle.

The bride was given in marriage by her uncle, Carleton S Smith, South Bend Indiana. Her dress of heavy Italian silk satin in a deep ivory shade was styled with a fitted bodice and full skirt which extended into a cathedral train. A Queen Anne collar of rose point lace embellished the neckline and the long pointed sleeves were edged with the same lace.

Her full-length rose point and Duchesse lace vail was caught to a bonnet of matching lace over satin and she carried a colonial bouquet of white orchids and lilies of the valley showered with stephanotis.

Miss Phyllis Cooper, who was her sister's only attendant, was attired in forest green velvet. Folds of the material extended from the boat neck of the fitted bodice to form brief sleeves and a panel of sunburst pleated forest green net was set in the front of the full floor-length skirt. On her head she wore a bandeau of green velvet leaves and her short gloves were white kid. She carried a colonial bouquet of bronze and yellow chrysanthemums.

Richard H Clements was bestman for Mr Reynolds. Ushers were Henry Montgomery, Purcell, John T Spradling and J Thomas Taggart.

For her daughter's weding Mrs Cooper wore a dress of gray lace over gray marquisette and her gray velvet hat was trimmed with iridescent beads and sequins. She wore an orchid corsage. Mrs Reynolds, mother of the bridegroom, chose a smoke blue taffeta waltz-length dress. Her bandeau was of smoke blue bugle beads and her gardenia corsage was fastened to her purse, which matched her hat.

White chrysanthemums and greenery were used to decorate the Cooper home for the reception. Assisting were Miss Barbara Buxton, Miss Carolyn Tolbert, Miss Myra Robberson, Mrs C Stewart Sorey, Miss Carolyn Rucker, Miss Jackie Lake, Miss Ethelyn Mills, Mrs Thomas R Brett, Lawton; Mrs Robert C Saunders, Tulsa; Miss Sydney Shaffer, Mrs Harry J Schafer jr, Mrs Phillip Walters and Mrs Robert Hutchison jr.

Following a wedding trip Mr and Mrs Reynolds will be at home at 924 NW 18. For travel the bride wore a brown gabardine suit with a matching topcoat of textured wool. Her blouse was of beige jersey, her hat of brown velvet and her accessories were brown reptile. She wore a white orchid corsage.

The Oklahoman, 22 November 1953, page 43.