pamgarrett.com
      Family Stories

1950: Blanche Clarkson Becomes Bride of Robert Hutchison Jr


Of more than usual interest was the wedding on Saturday of Miss Blanche Aubin Clarkson to Robert Hutchison jr, which was solemnized at 4 pm in St Paul's Episcopal cathedral.

The bride is the daughter of Mr and Mrs Albert Luther Clarkson, 1507 1/2 NW 17, and the granddaughter of Mr and Mrs Samuel Edwin Clarkson, 1000 NW 20, and the late Mr and Mrs Robert S Rowland of Oklahoma City. Mr Hutchison's parents are Mr and Mrs Robert Hutchison, 3017 Venice boulevard.

Very Rev John S Willey officiated at he ceremony.

The altar vases were filled with white gladioli blossoms and arrangements of white gladioli and white tapers in branched candelabra before a background of greenery decorated the chancel. The center aisle of the cathedral was carpeted in white and marked by white satin bows on the pew caps.

Among the selections played by Hubert Dennis, organist were "Dreams" (McAmis), "Idyle" (Conte) and "Clair de Lune" (Debussy). He also accompanied Mrs Frank Cahoon who sang "Panis Angelicus". The traditional wedding marches were used.

The bride was given in marriage by her father. She chose white satin which was styled with a high round neckline and long, pointed sleeves. The fitted bodice was fastened down the back with tiny pearl buttons. Handmade French roses of the satin edged the peplum at the hipline and the full skirt swept into a cathedral train.

Her fingertip veil was attached to a bandeau of satin roses which was edged with a small ruffle of lace which had been a part of the wedding dress of the bride's great-grandmother, the late Mrs Richard Albert Clarkson.

The bride's bouquet was a prayer book arrangement of white orchids and tuberoses knotted in white satin ribbon.

Attending the bride were Miss Joan Hutchison, sister of the bridegroom, maid honor: Miss Ann Thompson, Ardmore; Miss Ethelyn Mills and Miss Nancy Owens.

All wore identical frocks of taffeta faille in a heavenly blue shade. The ballerina-length dresses were made with strapless bodices and were worn with matching capes. Their Dutch bonnets and opera pumps were of royal blue velvet.

The attendants carried small royal blue velvet muffs, to which were attached showered clusters of asters which repeated the heavenly blue shade of their frocks.

William A Werme jr was best man for Mr Hutchison. Ushers were Rowland Clarkson, brother of the bride; William J Atkinson and Lindsey Alexander, Guymon.

For her daughter's wedding Mrs Clarkson chose a street-length dress of brown crepe worn with a matching cape and brown accessories. Her small hat of metallic cloth was in shades of blue, rose and orchid. Her corsage was a lavender orchid. Mrs Hutchison, mother of the bridegroom, chose a brown lace street-length frock, with which she wore a matching lace hat and brown accessories. Her corsage, too, was a lavender orchid.

At the reception which followed in Cathedral center those assisting were Mrs Jack Vickers, Wichita, Kan, sister of the bridegroom; Mrs Susan Morrow, San Antonio, cousin of the bride, Mrs Greene Reeder, Mrs John Wilson Cory and Miss Lockie Edwards.

And Miss Jo Clough, Norman; Miss Willie Wilson, Ardmore; Miss Thera Mae Crim, Coalgate, the bridegroom's cousin; Miss Jessamy Hines, Miss Germaine Millspaugh and Miss Nancy Laughlin.

Following a wedding trip the couple will be at home at 3515 N Robinson.

For travel the bride chose a beige gabardine suit, which was accented with brown velvet, the brown velvet accessories. Her corsage was an orchid.

Sunday Oklahoma, 17 September 1950.